♦The Small Matters Physical Comedy Lab♦
Presented by Hit That Jive Productions
You know that odd idea you came up with at a party, or in rehearsal, or in a workshop, or in the shower. Need a place to test out that weird idea you have? Have a bit that needs some audience? Or maybe you have a new character, or clown that needs a place to find their legs. Or maybe it’s something you’ve been thinking about, and you just need a deadline to get that first draft done…?
In January 2018, Small Matters launched the Physical Comedy Lab. Facilitated by SMP’s Christine Lesiak, it’s a monthly evening where clowns, physical comedy artists, character actors, alternative comedians, and art-lovers can experiment, play and watch in a supportive, structured environment. We enthusiactically welcome both first-time and experienced performers!
Upcoming Lab dates are:
Tues May 1 – 7 pm
Tues May 29 – 7 pm
Tues June 26 – 7 pm
Tues Sept 18 – 7 pm
Tues Oct 23 – 7 pm
Tues Nov 27 – 7 pm
Each is followed by an optional, facilitated constructive feedback time (approx. 1 hour).
Location: The Playhouse – 102, 10033-80 Ave., Edmonton
Cost: By donation (suggested $5).
Where: The Playhouse – 102, 10033-80 Ave. N.W. Edmonton, Alberta
What: Drafts of shorts 6 minutes long or shorter in any stage of development (longer spots available by request):
– clown & bouffon
– physical comedy – e.g. slapstick, visual humour, dance-based, comedy magic, street acts, etc.
– experimental comedy
Note: The Lab does not cater to traditional stand-up or improv acts (not that we don’t love these, it’s just there are other venues for these forms).
You should know…
– The Lab is a supportive environment where we provide a safe space to take risks and celebrate spectacular failures as much as glorious successes. We recognize that risking failure is an act of bravery.
– We don’t think racist, sexist or hateful material is brave. We think it’s mean and lazy.
– However, we don’t jury or censor, and recognize some of the work will intentionally or unintentionally be provocative. You might be offended sometimes. That’s not a bad thing. In fact, it’s a great thing to talk about with the artist!
– This space is carpeted, so NO WET MESS or theatre herpes (confetti or glitter) is allowed.
For more information or to sign-up, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.